Monday, February 9, 2015

"Do I feel lucky?"

Here's another movie I'm sure I'd seen, but as I'm watching it... nope, no recollection. 
But Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry (71) is totally a seventies movie.
That's a the plus.  The main thing is I've seen David Fincher's Zodiac, about the Zodiac Killer in San Francisco, at least half a dozen times.  Harry Callahan was inspired by Inspector Dave Toschi, and Scorpio, the killer in Dirty Harry, was inspired by the Zodiac killer.
The end of Dirty Harry was used in Zodiac, as one of the characters there to meet Toschi at the San Francisco movie premiere.

Honestly... I think I enjoyed Zodiac more than it's fictional counterpart.

There's something dreamy about Fincher's pacing that I can almost fall asleep to it- I'm a horror fan so my idea of relaxing might not be everyone elses.

The work that went into recreating the San Francisco Chronicle offices, the attention to period detail, it's practically perfection.  My favorite part is the time lapse building of the Trans-America Pyramid.

That said, I'm glad I finally saw Dirty Harry.  Eastwood is the archetypical badass cop, and Andrew Robinson is disturbingly manic as Scorpio.  All those police procedural cliches, watching this you see where they come from.

I'll be watching Magnum Force and the Enforcer at some point as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment