Saturday, January 3, 2015

Columbo, you're a gem

The thing about previews is they're a great source of ideas of what to watch, like the ABC Fall Preview 1974-75, including Saturday Morning cartoons These Are the Days (with the Watchmen's Jackie Earle Hailey doing voice work) and Devlin- I remember Devlin from when I was a kid (a motorcycle stunt team family) but I didn't realize that These Are the Days (small town, turn of the century, slice of life cartoon) and Devlin were both dramas, as good as Hanna Barbara could manage anyway.

 I recently commented on Facebook about "Always" movies- movies that have become so ingrained into the cultural psyche that it's hard to remember a time before them.  The Sunday and Monday Night Movies previewed were a good example of that- The Last Picture Show. High Plains Drifter. Thunderball. The Poseiden Adventure.  All of them making their television premeire that season. Perry hasn't seen The Last Picture Show.  That goes to top of the list of good movies to watch.

There's a lot of fun episodic stuff that season, but since Kolchak: The Night Stalker is on Netflix, I'll be working my way through the series.  I need to find episodes of Get Christie Love! because it looks damn cool.

Because it's *always* good, I treated myself to an episode of Columbo, Negative Reaction (10.6.74), one I'd managed to miss somehow.  Dick Van Dyke plays the killer and if you close your eyes, it's like the weirdest episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show ever.  Series regular Vito Scotti, only Peter Falk is in more episodes,plays a wino and F-Troop's Larry Storch plays a driving examiner.

No comments:

Post a Comment