Monday, January 5, 2015

It's an Ida Lupino kind of night.

I'm seeing movies that I haven't seen in a long time as well as things I've every reason to have see but somehow missed,
Tonight it's (to the best of my recollection) two misses- The Food of the Gods and The Devil's Rain

I've seen AIP's Bert Gordon film adaptation of HG Wells' The Empire of the Ants a couple of times (Joan Collins.  Giant, Super Smart Ants!) so I guess my brain just persistance of visioned seen AIP's Bert Gordon film adaptation of HG Wells' The Food of the Gods (1976).  The more I watched, the more sure I am that I didn't.  Ida Lupino verses a killer maggot.  Marjo Gortner as a football player.  Giant Chickens.  Giant Rats.  Giant Wasps.  My credulity was strained with Gortner as a football player.

And I have no idea how I missed The Devil's Rain (1975).  It's directed by Robert Feust, the director of both of Vincent Price's Phibes movies.  Ernest Borgnine plays the pope of Satan.  William... Shatner... opposes him.  Ida Lupino plays Shatner's mother.  Shatner fails, so it's up to his brother, Tom Skerrit, and Skerrit's psychic wife to save the day.  He's colleagues with Eddie Albert, playing the Van Helsing role,  which after watching Green Acres, makes this even more surreal.  There's a church in the middle of nowhere that looks like the church from Guns 'n' Roses' November Rain video.  It's... not monstrously bad.  But it's not Phibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment